Thursday 12 April 2018

Star of light

Star of Light
Author: Patricia St John
ISBN: 978-0-8024-6577-1


Hi Everyone

It's been a while since my last post for a couple of reasons.  First being that my kids and students come first and its been a busy term.  Second because I was challenged to read some of the books from my bookcase and the first one on the top left shelf was a 1256 pages long!  I also have a few books coming up that authors have sent to me.... so keep watching this space there is more coming your way very soon.

This book is part of the Sonlight curriculum, I have a few books from this curriculum is really is a good curriculum to follow through.  Star of Light is an easy little read and was first published in 1954.  While reading it I was able to sense the different era of which the book was written.  The characters were nice, the plot was nice, the scenes were nice.  It reminded me of a Sunday school book.  Because of this I think is best suited for a younger reader with a good reading vocab and comprehension.  I enjoyed it but found myself wanting to skip pages as it didn't really move fast enough.  I would have liked to read more about what happens to the little blind sister, Kinza.  I felt she could have added more depth to the story.

So, with the students I have coming through, I (in my opinion) think 10-12 years cover recommendation is a little on the older side.

Overall though, it really is a good read.  It has some talking points in the story line and definately has a good moral principle behind the plot.

Description:

Hamid does not want his little blind sister, Kinza, to be sold to a beggar, by thier stepfather, so he decides to rescue her.  Together they escape from thier mountain village to a town where there may be a new home for Kinza.  But this is only the start of their adventures.  Will Kinza be safe?  What will happen to Hamid who dares not to go back home.


This was available from: AmazonBook depository and Fishpond


Happy reading


No comments:

Post a Comment