Monday 7 March 2016


Nothing Gold can Stay

 
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Robert Frost

 

 
Hi Everyone,
 
I got talking to a friend about what we could remember from English class, which wasn't yesterday.  It was funny the things we remembered, and we were amazed by the things we just couldn't remember even touching on.   I am sure we should have been taught how to write an essay, but neither of us could recall that day in class. 
 
The one thing that never left my memory was poetry.  My favourite was 'Nothing Gold Can Stay'.  I don't know what my teacher did with this poem but it stayed me.  It touched my imagination and the metaphor of life reached beyond any imagination I had.  It remains one of my favourite poems to this very day.  Every word is etched in my memory, standing the test of time.
 
To all the teachers out there that think their students are coming to school for lunch.  Maybe you will be the teacher that can etch just one thing upon the mind of an unsuspecting child/young adult.  And they will talk of you in time to come.
 
Keep teaching English and literature to the young people of today!
 
 
Happy reading

Richelle



No comments:

Post a Comment